Saturday, August 31, 2013

August Favorites

t's that time again for my monthly favorites! I have to admit I wasn't that adventurous with new foods this month like I usually am.  I'd like my monthly favorites to be more than just food, so I'll start with that trend this month since I don't have many new foods to add. So here goes. 

1. Stainless Steel Water Bottle  

It's really important to stay hydrated, especially in the hot summer months. To determine how many ounces of water you need each day, divide your weight in pounds by 2. For example, if you weigh 130 pounds you will need about 65 oz. of water a day. I also recommend adding 8 ounces of water for every caffeinated beverage you drink You'll also need more water when you're active or if you're sweating from the heat. You may need more or less water depending on your age or any medical conditions you might have, so just use this as a guide.
I love these stainless steel bottles that I ordered from Amazon for about $8 a piece. Since I'm out all day and in and out of my car, I fill up 3 of these 25 oz water bottles and take them with me. I fill them with half ice, half water and the bottle keeps pretty cold until the end of the day. They're dishwasher safe, but most of the time I just wash them with a brush. Plastic water bottles are not safe, especially if they're sitting in a hot car all day. Plus the reusable bottles are much more environmentally friendly.


2. Crock Pot

I usually get the most use out of my Crock Pot in the winter months for stuff like chili and stew, but it's made an appearance a few times in August. I had a few nights when I was working late and knew I wouldn't feel like cooking when I got home, so I threw some stuff in the crock pot and let it cook while I was out. I usually prep the night before and store the pot in the fridge overnight, then all I have to do in the morning it transport the pot to the counter and turn it on. I have a Crock Pot with 4 different temperature settings (low, medium, high, warm) and a timer, so when it's done cooking it just keeps the food warm until I'm ready to eat. Another plus about the Crock Pot is there's no need to turn on the oven or stove on hot summer days! 

3. Grapes

I've been craving grapes recently, they're my summer candy! Cold grapes are especially tasty and refreshing on hot summer days. I cup of grapes has about 100 calories and 27 grams of carbs. Grapes are good sources of Vitamins K & C and have been shown to have good antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and can protect against heart disease! Now tell me what candy can do all that for you?!  I recommend eating both green and red grapes for the most nutritional benefit. 



4. Ground Flaxsee

Flaxseed is a good source of Omega 3s and fiber and can help improve digestion and relieve constipation. It's also very versatile to use which is why I've been adding to to a lot of foods recently. I've been mixing it in yogurt or oatmeal or sprinkling it on top of peanut butter & toast. It can be sprinkled over almost anything like salad, pasta or rice  or mixed with something like breadcrumbs to use in cooking. Or you can add it to baking recipes to bump up the nutritional value. I recently added about 1/4 cup to muffins I was making to add a little extra fiber, Some people say it has a nutty flavor, but I personally don't think it has much flavor at all. I definitely recommend storing it in the refrigerator especially in the summer months to prevent it from becoming rancid. Once it goes rancid it's best to throw it away.  


5. DoTerra Breathe Essential Oil


I've been having a terrible time with allergies this summer and have been desperate for relief. One thing that helps is this Breathe Essential Oil by DoTerra. I heard good things about it, but when I got it I wasn't sure exactly how to use it, so I turned to my trusty Google. I found a website called "My Natural Family" that suggested the following: 
"Apply Directly: to chest of adults, back of adults, on the bones behind the ears, on the forehead and facial sinuses, on the bottoms of feet of children and adults, on vita flex points of feet, hands and head.
May dilute 1:1 for skin application on small children." 
(A link to the complete article can be found here.)   
I've found some relief from applying it topically, at least for a little while. For any allergy suffers out there you know some relief is better than none!  


That's all for this month's favorites. Comment below and share your favorites with me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment